Tin Can Vase Project


Today I'm going to walk you through a DIY project that is sure to add beauty to any wedding, shower, or party.  This is a simple project that is equally inexpensive but adds a lot of charm.

Step 1: Gather Materials
Tin Cans (any size will do, you can even mix and match sizes)
Water Based Acrylic Paint (I used Americana in Sea Glass)
Paint Brush
Ribbons, Doilies, Burlap, or any other trim you would like to use
Masking Tape
Flowers (I used Baby's Breath)


Step 2: Paint the Tin Cans
I found that it was easier to paint them if I put my hand inside the can (be sure that the tin cans have been opened with a can opener that does not leave jagged edges, you don't want to get cut).  With my hand in the can I was able to freely turn it as I painted.  


Step 3: Allow each can to dry completely.
You will want to do at least 2 coats of paint to ensure that the can is evenly covered, I did 3 coats.


Step 4: Embellish the Can
This is the fun part!  There are so many ways you can "decorate" your cans.  I used burlap, linen, doilies, and some ribbon I had from my shop.

 Step 5: Create a grid for your flowers.
This is a great way to make your flowers look full and keeps them from falling over, leaving a bare spot in the center. Just make a grid with masking tape.  Be sure to make the strip of tape long enough to stay but not so long that it runs down the side of the can. 
Fill the can with water.


Step 6: Arrange your flowers and Enjoy!